Toushe or cucumbers is one of my favourite vegetables and you can always find them in my kitchen.I just love to have them as such ,sliced thinly with dash of pepper and lime with meals or in between meals to satisfy my cravings.Sassam is a simple dish made with Cucumbers which need not be heated or boiled and perfect for the summer heat when we don’t want to have heavy food and crave for something light and refreshing.This can also be prepared anytime of the year as cucumbers are very healthy .
- 1 medium sized tender Cucumber
- 1/4 –1/2 cup coconut(depending upon the size of the Cucumber)
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- Small piece of tamarind
- 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of oil
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Chop the cucumbers into small pieces ,apply salt and keep aside .
Add mustard seeds to the same jar …
and grind again adding water and salt to obtain a smooth paste like shown below—
Prepare the seasoning and let it cool.Remove the paste to a bowl, add the chopped Cucumbers and the prepared seasoning to it.
Mix well adding water to adjust the consistency and check for salt .
Add salt only if necessary as the cucumbers and masolu have salt already.
The Sassam is ready to be relished along with meals .
- I do not prefer peeling the Cucumbers as the skin has lots of nutrients ..and I recommend the same.
- If the cucumbers are not tender,remove the seeds while chopping.
- The consistency of the dish should be medium,neither too thick nor runny.
- The dish stays good for 2-3 hours without refrigeration.. the left overs can be refrigerated but it tastes good when freshly prepared.
- The seasoning should be cooled and added for such cold dishes .. a tip I read somewhere and follow the same .. so thought of sharing with you also.
- For a quick and oil free version replace the red chillies with 2-3 green chillies and avoid seasoning.Tastes equally delicious.