The mention of Chonya upkari to any GSB in Kerala brings up mouth watering memories of receiving hot chonya upkari in the palm during the “Valag” prasad distribution in our GSB temples ! How much ever we try to replicate it in our homes – nothing can beat that aromatic divine prasad . Still we can try to make something closer to that taste when we yearn for it ! Since this is also made as prasad for pujas at homes too – let’s see the recipe for it !
- Black Chana ( black chickpeas) – 250 gms
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilli – 1 or 2
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp ( optional )
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp s ( or more – use liberally )
- Soak overnight or at-least for 8 hours the black gram ( Chono ) .
- Pressure cook till soft . retain the liquid in which the chono was cooked .
- Heat a kadai . and add the coconut oil , splutter the mustard .
- Then add the red chilli ( broken into bits ) , Jeera , curry leaves , the pepper ( crushed ), chilli Powder & hing ( optional) . I don’t add hing usually but some like to add .
- When they have roasted , add the salt & the chono along with the liquid . Cook till the liquid has evaporated and the flavours have well infused .
- Add the grated coconut & some more oil .
- Cover and let roast on slow fire till a wonderful aroma fills up the room .