Avalya Sassam used to be my childhood favourite side dish , Brined gooseberries / mitta gallelle avalos are used in this . So the sweet after taste of the avalos lingering in our mouths made us ask for more . Amma had to keep on making this until the stock got over and then she would warn us not to ask anymore – until the next stock was ready, For brined avalos – find the recipe here
So lets see this easy ready in two minutes recipe – and this really takes only about two minutes
- Brined Avallos – 4 to 5
- Green Chilli – 1
- Curds – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil for tempering
- Take out 4-5 avallos from the brine & wash carefully .
- Take out the seeds by breaking the segments .
- Now add the segments and chillli in bowl and mash with your hands coarsely .
- Now add the curds .
- Prepare a tempering with the oil , mustard seeds , jeera and curry leaves .
- Pour over the ground avallos and mix well
- Add salt only if necessary .
Enjoy as a side dish with rice , Since Gooseberries are a treasure hold of nutrients ,,include this more often in your children’s diet .