Ragi is known as Nanchano in konkani and udda means water.This is a traditional drink prepared normally during summer to quench the thirst and to keep the body cool.
As we already know that ragi is nutritious,it contains dietary fibre,calcium,iron and is a easily digestible food for all age groups. This strengthens our body,and helps to cure anemia. Sprouted and powdered ragi porridge helps in healthy weight gain in kids.
We konkanis introduce ragi mixed with wheat to infants from their 3rd month onwards .
Today I’m sharing the recipe of cardamom flavoured ragi drink which is prepared by grinding the whole ragi grain and extracting its juice. Here we add jaggery for sweetness . This is a tasty and healthier drink than the sugary bottled/aerated drinks available in shops.This drink does not have any side effects – instead we benefit a lot by the power packed nutrition in it.There are few other recipes using ragi(nanchano) in the breakfast section of this Blog,please do refer and gain the benefits from this millet.
Lets check this recipe-
- Whole Ragi – 1 bowl
- Jaggery powdered – as per sweetness required
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 3 cups for grinding and diluting
Wash and soak ragi for 2 hours.(If not possible to soak – then can grind directly)
In a mixer add the soaked ragi and 1 cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
With the help of a strainer, strain the ground ragi and collect the milk in a vessel.
Grind the leftover husk again with some more water and strain the milk again and collect the milk in the same vessel.
Similarly grind once more,(3 times) and collect the milk.
Add more water/cold water to this milk to dilute.
Add powdered jaggery for sweetness and cardamom powder for flavour as per yourtaste.Stir well until the jaggery is completely dissolved.Check for sweetness.
Serve chilled and enjoy.
- It is always better to use whole ragi seeds than powdered one.
- If doing in large quantities then use a grinder so that we get good volume of the milk.
- Use a strainer with very fine holes otherwise there are chances of husk particles mixing in this,which kids may not like. So in that case strain again with a clean thin cloth.
- After grinding and mixing jaggery and cardamom refrigerate and serve cold as it enhances the taste of the milk.