Avallo / gooseberry is a powerhouse of Vitamin C, Its is is also rich in iron, calcium, phosphorous. It supports liver function and flushes out toxins from the body. So including Avallo in our diets is an utter necessity ! Here is a simple traditional recipe of Avalya boi using avallos for a yummm tangy curry , You may use fresh , brined or dried ones !
- Avallos / Gooseberry – 3 to 5
- Red chillies – 2 to 3 ( as per spice level )
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste .
For tempering :-
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Red chilli -1
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Deseed the avallos , if using fresh or dried ones ..soak in hot water for some time , Brined ones can be deseeded easily .
- Grind the avallo segments with the red chillies , coconut & turmeric powder to a smooth paste .
Transfer the paste to a vessel . Clean the mixer jar using about 1 cup of water and add to the paste , Bring to a boil and cook on simmer for about five minutes . Add salt as necessary , If you have added brined avallos – remember to add only if necessary.
Now add the buttermilk and cook for another two minutes . Switch off . Heat a kadai , Add oil and splutter the mustard seeds . Then add the rest of the ingredients , When done – pour over the curry ,
Enjoy this tasty curry with rice .
3 to 5 will suffice if they are large ones ..add two more if they are small ones and also according to how sour they are .
Do not boil for long after adding the butter milk .