This dish is a typical amchi dish – a non-spicy one. Elchikeri’s are very popular among the Cochin GSBs and served during functions & for guests or just because you feel like eating it!
- Moong /green gram- 1 cup
- Surnu / elephant yam – (chopped into small pieces ),- 1/3 cup
- Skin of Raw banana (nenderbale or Kerala banana ) – (chopped into small pieces ) – 1/3 cup
- Drumsticks cut into 3 ” pieces – 1 cup
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 4
- Turmeric powder / haldi – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Oil for tempering
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the moong and the veggies till soft .Cook the drumsticks separately in a little water.
- Meanwhile make a smooth paste of 3/4 cup of grated coconut turmeric and the red chillies .
- Add this to the cooked dal . Also add the salt .
- Bring to a boil and keep on sim for a couple more minutes .
- Make a tempering of the mustard , jeera and curry leaves .
- Dry roast the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut to a nice brown colour and add to the curry.
- You can now have a delicious not so spicy dish!!
Here is another Elchikeri with Moong and Chinese Potato
Here is another with drumstick & Chinese Potato