This is a mouth watering two in one dish in which both the main ingredients are preserved for the rainy season in brine(Salt water). This is an amchi traditional dish of Mangalore.
- Sal ( brined jack fruit bulbs – 2 cups
- Kolambo (brined mango) – 2 a little hard ones
- Grated coconut – ½ coconut
- Roasted red chillies- 10
- Garlic cloves- 15
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Wash, clean and cut the mangoes in to 1 inch pieces. Keep aside.
- Wash, Clean and cut Sal into 1 inch sq. pieces. Keep aside.
- Cook sal and kolambo pieces adding little water.
- Grind grated coconut with roasted red chilly to a fine paste.
- Add this masala, mix well and cook till it is done.
- Add water if necessary to maintain medium thick consistency.
- Add salt if necessary since both the ingredients are salty.
- Season with crushed garlic cloves.
Salambe Koddel is ready. Serve with hot rice.
- Add salt only if necessary.
- Both the sal and the kolambo has to be washed clean .