Undi/Oondi is a popular breakfast among Konkani people. These are seasoned rice dumplings that are steamed before consumption. Ideally it is prepared from rice which is soaked drained and later dried. Once dried it is ground with coconut and the mixture given a tadka with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, etc and then steamed. Here I am posting the recipe that is prepared from ready to use rice rawa
- Idli rawa/ rice rawa 1 cup
- Coconut grated 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/ methi seeds 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Red chillies 2 broken into small pieces [You can substitute this with green chillies]
- Coconut oil
- Soak one cup of rice/ idli rawa for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Now grind 1/2 cup of grated coconut with half cup of water.
- In a pan, heat oil add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dal, methi seeds and roast it till it turns light brown.
- Now add curry leaves, broken red chillies, 3 cups of water, salt to taste and let it boil. Once the water starts to boil, add the drained idli rawa gradually and stir it continuously.
- Next add ground coconut. Stir it till the water gets evaporated. Switch off the gas.
- Allow the mixture to cool a little bit. Once the mixture cools enough to get handled, grease your hands with little oil.
- Take spoonful of this mixture and make round balls and make indentation in each with your index finger [check the pic].
- Now keep these balls in steamer/ pedavan or pressure cooker without whistle for 10 -12 minutes.
- Serve them hot just with a dash of coconut oil on top of it or with chutney/ pickle or any accompaniment of your choice.
Happy Cooking !