- Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
- Green chilies – 2-3 ( or more as per your taste )
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Grated Coconut – for garnish- about 2 tbsps
- Oil for seasoning
- Wash the green chilies & slit them in half . wash the curry leaves & keep them ready along with the green chilies & dal for seasoning .
- Heat a thick bottomed Kadai or non-stick pan . heat it .
- Add about 1 large tablespoon of oil .when it has heated well .
- Sim the gas & add the mustard seeds . Let them splutter fully .
- Then add the seasoning ingredients .
- Stir a little so that they fry evenly .
- When you see the dal has browned , add the semiya & stir well .
Note :- The semiya I have used is pre-roasted . If you are using the plain ones . roast the semiya first with a little oil to a nice golden colour . This is to avoid the semiya to become sticky after cooking .
Now add 2 cups of water – the same cup you used to measure the semiya . Add the salt & allow to cook on a medium flame . stir occasionally to see that it is getting cooked .