This is an unusual but an amchi favourite breakfast of the Kochi GSB’s . Rice dumplings are cooked in the most favourite of the konkanis – Dalithoy! Hence the name Thoyaan undi /Thoyantuli Undi ! This has almost disappeared from the breakfast tables of amchis today !! Do try this out & you will love to make this again & again !
For the Dalithoy :-
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Green chilli – 1-2
- Red chilli – 1-2
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil for seasoning
For the Undi :-
- Rice flour – 1cup
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Traditionally the undi used to be done by grinding soaked raw rice & coconut and then cooking it till it had thickened to a dough consistency . Now that we get rice flour easily , we can opt for an easy way .
- Boil some water . Take the flour & grated coconut in a bowl . Add the salt & pour the hot water over it . Mix with a spoon .
- When a little cooler , mix well to form a soft dough
- Make small balls with this dough !
- Pressure cook the toor dal . when done ..transfer to a pan or vessel . Add water to make it to a thin consistency ! Bring to a boil ..Add a little salt . Remember to add less since we have already added salt to the rice dough !
- When the dal is boiling well , add the small balls one by one . Remember to keep the flame up & the dal SHOULD be boiling
- When all the balls have been added , cover & let cook on a low flame for at least 10-15 minutes .
- Meanwhile prepare the seasoning with the ingredients listed in the Dalithoy list
- Add half of the prepared seasoning to the dal that is cooking .
- After 10-15 minutes , the balls will have cooked well and the dal would have thickened . Now add the rest of the seasoning & serve hot !