Chattambade or Chana dal vada – the name is enough for us to drool . this evening snack with soaked chana dal ground to a coarse paste with few spices and deep fried to golden brown fritters goes well with a hot cup of coffee or tea especially during rainy season..Being quite easy to prepare ..its a popular snack at home .
- Chana dal-1 cup
- Roasted red chillies-3-4(depending on spice level)
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Onion-1 medium sized
- Coconut grated or kobri-3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves-few
- Asafoetida- 2-3 pinch
- Green chillies-1-2
- Salt-as desired.
this measure will yield around 10-15 Chattambades.:
- Wash well and soak chana dal in water for 3 hrs. Drain out the water completely using a strainer.
- Grind this to a coarse paste adding roasted red chillies without adding water. Don’t worry if some whole chana dal remains in the paste.
- Chop green chillies,curry leaves,coriander leaves into small pieces and keep aside.
- Mix the paste with chopped ingredients and add grated coconut or kobri pieces, asafoetida and salt in a mixing dry bowl. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into small lemon sized balls and flatten it gently by pressing in between your palms into a flat 2 inch round disc.
- Heat oil in a kadai on medium flame. Drop these discs into hot oil and fry on a medium flame till they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it hot with hot cup of coffee/tea.
This post is courtesy of my friend – Soumya Pai K