Karathe aka bitter gourd is not a favourite veggie with many,but I love it.I have already posted many varieties in this blog like kismuri , Rosu , Karathe kholu (pickle) , bhutti .Today am here with one more delicacy from North Canara using sichuan pepper(teppal in konkani)If you are not used to teppal , use garlic instead (check Notes), but do try this delicious sukke with black chana combo which is very tasty.For details about Sichuan pepper/teppal refer Here.
- 1/2 cup black chana(soaked overnight and pressure cooked)
- 2 Medium sized bitter gourds
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 4-5 red chillies(do not roast)
- 10-12 sichuan pepper/teppal soaked in water
- Marble sized tamarind/ 3-4 peels of dried kokum
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery 1 tbsp (adjust more or less)
Chop bittergourds removing seeds and pith if any and cook it in a pan with water and salt as shown …
Grind coconut,chillies(take care NOT to roast) and tamarind(if using) to a fairly smooth paste,then add the soaked teppal
and just give a gentle round once again and keep aside.
- If you do not prefer using teppal (sichuan pepper) use crushed garlic instead.Heat oil and add crushed garlic,then add the chopped bitter gourd and proceed with the recipe
- Roast the red chillies if using garlic but DO NOT roast when using teppal.
- I like bitter gourd curry a bit sweet,you can adjust the jaggery as your preference.
- Use either tamarind or kokum peels and not both.