Pattal bhaji is the most common and preferred accompaniment to puris (traditionally referred as rotti).Pattal meaning semi liquid i.e the curry or bhaji as we call, is not dry but in liquidy form and goes well with puris.It is easy and quick to prepare too during get togethers or family functions.As it is prepared with potatoes it is loved by everyone.Do try it the next time you prepare puris and enjoy.
- 5-6 potatoes boiled and peeled
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 onion finely chopped OR 1/8 th tsp of hing
- 1/4 to1/2 tsp of haldi/turmeric powder
- 2-4 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- Tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp tsp each of cumin/zeera and urad dal
- Few curry leaves
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves.
- Tbsp of coconut grated(optional)
Crumble the peeled potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,when they splutter add cumin seeds,urad dal ,then slit chillies and curry leaves.
- Add onion or hing (whichever you are using) and fry for a while and add haldi powder.
- Add the crumbled potatoes and mix well so that the seasoning and the potatoes are mixed.
- Add 1-2 cups of water depending upon the consistency you prefer and also the quality of potatoes ,add salt and simmer the flame.
- Close the lid and simmer for few minutes.
- Remove the lid and add coriander leaves and coconut gratings(optional)mix and cook for few seconds and switch off.
The tasty and easy pattal bhaji is ready to be served with puris or chapatties
- When made on functions we avoid using onions and use hing instead.
- Now a days I have seen cooks using chopped tomatoes too in the seasoning ..you can add if you prefer.
- For the dry version of bhaji follow same recipe except adding water.