Shevai payasu or shevya payasu is one of the easiest sweet dish that can be done within no time. Even beginners in cooking can try this simple yet delicious dish. Also with the roasted vermicelli/ shevai available in the market it has become more convenient now. I prepare it compulsorily for every ” suttapunnav ” ( our festival for men where the sacred thread/jannuve is changed) as it is a tradition to prepare this dish. A very simple recipe which goes like this.
- 1/2 cup of roasted vermicelli(easily available in market of different brands)
- 3/4th cup or a bit more of sugar(adjust as per your taste)
- 3/4 th cup of water
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
- 2 cups of milk
- Nuts and raisins as required
- Saffron strands(optional)
- A tsp or two of ghee
- Add water to a pan or wide vessel and once it is hot enough add the vermicelli.
- Lower the flame after a boil and cook till the vermicelli is done ,it should be soft and some water is to be retained.
- Add sugar and stir till all the sugar melts and give a boil.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron at this stage along with 1 cup of milk and simmer for few minutes.
- Switch off the gas
- Heat ghee and fry the nuts and raisins and pour over the dish.
- Just before serving add the remaining milk and serve.
- The vermicelli gets quickly cooked so keep a sharp eye.
- If using un roasted ones , heat a few drops of ghee in a pan and roast till the vermicelli is lightly golden and proceed with the recipe.
- I do not prefer adding all the milk at a time as it tends to thicken, so I always reserve some milk to add just before serving.
- Adjust sugar as per your need and also check the sweetness after adding the milk.