Our Ancestors were so innovative in using every single drop of food to turn it into a delicious dish . Ubbati Saaru is one such example .This is a thin rasam style mild tasting saaru made by using the drained water of cooked chana dal used for doing ubbatis or puran polis or holige . Even today only some people do this simple trational saaru . I learnt this from my mom in law. Lets look at the recipe .
- 2 cups of drained water of cooked chana dal.
- 1 tbsp of cooked chana dal mashed into the above water.
- 5 slit green chillies.
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
- A sprig of curry leaves.
- A red chilly
- A tsp mustard seeds
- A big generous pinch of hing.
- Salt to taste
- A tsp of jaggery powder.
- A tbsp of coconut oil.
- Boil the chana water with one tbsp of mashed cooked chanadal and slit green chillies.
- Add salt and jaggery , give a good boil.
- Now add coconut milk, when this just starts to boil, switch off the gas immediately.
- Lastly give a tempering of coconut oil, mustard, red chilly, hind and curry leaves.
- Pour over the saaru . Close with lid instantly so that the flavour is not lost
Serve hot with rice and other accompaniments !.