Here is a Kashaya for cold,cough,severe kapha and is also very useful for body pain.This is a Sanjeevini type of Kashaya good for people of all ages – be it elders or small children . The ingredients too all are very simple and will be found at all homes . So when someone in your family is showing signs of getting a cough or cold or even having body ache – you can quickly make this & give relief to them . This recipe is courtesy my good friend – Padmini Kamath
- Shallots – 3/4th of a big one / half a onion
- Garlic pod – 3/4th of a large one
- Ginger ( fresh ) – 1 inch piece( if using dry ginger – one small piece )
- Tulsi leaves – 7 to 8 nos
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery – a lemon size
- Water – 2 glasses
- Peel the shallots/ onion , garlic , ginger and crush them .( Slice d onion & crush )
- Similarly lightly powder the pepper , jeera & Coriander seeds .
- Crush slightly the tulsi leaves too.
- In a vessel boil about 2 glasses of water . add the shallots , ginger ,garlic & tulsi leaves along with jaggery in it.
- When the water has changed colour – add the powdered ingredients & turmeric .
- Let simmer for some time until the kashayu has reduced a little in quantity.
- Remove from flame , strain & consume when it is still hot .
- You may use onion but shallots are preferable .
- This works best when consumed hot ! so take care to have it as hot as possible .
- Adding a little milk is also good .
- This is good for lactating mothers too as the baby too is prone to catch a cold if the mother has . By drinking this – the baby remains immune – as elders say – ‘ Dhoodh hun varta ‘!