Dried peas or batani is one of our favourite pulses.We love any curries using them and this one combined with surnu (elephant yam ) I feel this Batani surnu piyav phanna ambat (dried peas ambat ) is the tastiest one.
- Dried peas – 1 cup
- Elephant yam (surnu ) – 1 cup (cut in small squares )
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Roasted dried red chillies – 10 to 12
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Onion – 1 medium
- Soak the dried peas overnight .
- Pressure cook them together with the yam pieces till soft.
- Meanwhile grind coconut , chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the peas mix and let it boil well.
- Switch off flame .
- Now keep a small pan and saute the finely chopped onions in oil till it turns golden..
- Pour the tadka over the curry and the ambat is ready .
- Relish as a main course curry with rice.