Today am here with one more combination of Upkari which is my favourite ..my Amma used to make it for us and now I do it for my daughter as this combo is her favourite too.There is nothing much of a recipe here .So I have not gone into detailing.Do try and enjoy this combo too along with other varieties of Upkari from our blog.
- 5-6 Potatoes
- 2 capsicums
- Tsp of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Generous pinch of hing
- Pinch turmeric powder (optional)
- A tbsp or 2 of coconut
- Oil a tbsp or as required
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 red chillies
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes and immerse them in a bowl of water.
- Chop Capsicums also in the similar way as that of potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai..add mustard seeds,when they splutter add curry leaves,red chillies, hing and stir..add turmeric powder and stir again.
- Now add the chopped potatoes and capsicum and mix well.
- Add salt,coconut ..sprinkle some water and mix again.
- Close with a lid and cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes or until done stirring in between to avoid burning.
The tasty Upkari is ready to be had with our lunch or dinner as a side dish.
- Be careful while adding water as some potatoes cook very quick..so adding too much water at the beginning may make them mushy.
- Adding turmeric is optional …I have just added a pinch.
- I sometimes chop the veggies into thin long slices.
Here’s a picture of upkari when chopped into long slices