Pendaro is a wild vegetable which is mostly found in coastal forests of Karnataka.. it is a well known seasonal vegetable which is only found when its almost end of the monsoon season and when the winter begins.. that’s when you find Pendaro in the local market abundantly. This recipe is by my FB friend –Chitra Shenoy She says she was lucky enough to get some and prepared few of her family favorite dishes. In Kannada it’s called adka baare . This is believed to have many medicinal properties being anti- inflammatory ,antioxidant & even helps in deworming .
You can make many dishes with this such as Phodis , Koot , Bhutti , sassam Garlic phanna upkari etc. This has a bitter sour taste which is not liked by some but adored by others .
Here is her very simple recipe of Pendaro upkari:
- Pendaro – 6
- Dry red chillies – 3
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil – 4tsp
- Salt to taste
- Remove the skin and seeds of pendaro, cut in to length wise and put in to water for about 10 minutes to avoid it turning black.
- Then remove from water and apply some salt and keep it for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, just when it splutters add the broken red chillies
- Now add in the chopped pendaro by gently squeezing through your palms to remove the excess water.
- Saute for a while then sprinkle some water, cover and let it simmer for a while.
- Once its half done remove the cover and stir fry on a low flame until it turns crispy.
Enjoy it as a side dish with rice and Dalithoi.