Today I am yet again sharing a Upkari recipe using potato and cauliflower.Both the veggies make a perfect combo and goes well with meals as well as side dish for chapati.You can also pack this for lunch in tiffin boxes. Amma used to make this combo and we kids used to love this and now its the same with my daughter.Lets start with the recipe which is very easy and quick to make.
- Small cauliflower
- 4 to 5 potatoes
- A tsp of Cumin seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 to 2 red chillies
- A tbsp or two of oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsps of coconut grated
- Generous pinch of hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash and peel the potatoes…chop them into small cubes or triangles and drop them in water.
- Separate florets wash thoroughly and immerse the florets in warm water adding salt and turmeric for minimum 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain the florets ,wash again and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide kadhai / pan.
- Add cumin seeds,once they splutter add hing,curry leaves and red chillies and fry.
- Once done , add turmeric powder and stir taking care not to burn anything.
- Immediately add the potatoes draining all the water and give a mix.
- Now add the florets and mix again…add salt ,sprinkle some water and give a mix so that everything gets mixed well.
- Close the pan with a lid and simmer the flame .
- Cook for 12-15 minutes stirring in between to avoid burning.
- Once half done check for salt and sprinkle some more water if required,at this stage add the coconut and gently mix taking care the veggies are not mashed up.
- Amma never used to add mustard for this upkari and Ifollow the same,you may add if you prefer along with cumin.
- Don’t add too much water at the beginning,keep sprinkling in between as and when required.
- The veggies must retain their shape so be careful while adding water and stirring.
- If the cauliflower is fresh the upkari will be done by 10-12 minutes..so keep a watch.