Nobody can deny the wonderful & numerous benefits of bitter gourd ! It helps in control of diabetes & weight loss ,It is an extremely rich source of vitamin C, which helps boost immunity. It also has powerful antiviral property, which stimulates the immune system and also aids in digestion. but the bitter taste as it’s name suggests- puts off most children and even adults . But considering that it is so nutritious ,,we should try to include this in our diet . This simple and easy to make upkari when done hardly has any bitterness and will surely appeal to all ! So let’s see how to do this !
- Bitter gourds / Kaarate – 250gms
- Tomato – 1 medium sized
- Green chillies – 6 to 7 ( or as per spice level )
- Salt to taste
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and chop the bitter gourds , Chop the tomato and slit the chillies .
- Add salt and keep for some time until the veggies have left water .
- Heat the oil in a kadai and splutter the mustard seeds .
- Add the chopped veggies .
- Sprinkle a little water if needed only , cover and cook on low flame . Stir in between .
- Let roast on slow flame until you an see a shiny texture .
Serve as a side dish with rice and other accompaniments .
- Do not add too much water, The water let out by the veggies itself will be enough to cook ,
- Cook on low flame ,
- You can add any souring agent instead of tomato like Bimbul or star fruit / Karmbal too .
- You can add sun dried bimbul or star fruit too , wash them well and then use .
One reply to “Kaarate Upkari”
Wow, I like your post, well maintained & written. Festivals are most important part of life, gives us happiness, meaning of living a life. It bring whole community together like a family. Hi, I am also a blogger, write blogs on festival topics so, please check out my blogs too. If you like than please comment and share. Thank you! Visit;- https://www.quickfestival.com/