Bamboo shoots are referred to as keerlu in Konkani. Keerlu both fresh and brined is used in many dishes in our cuisine and is a favourite with everyone. Though due to Its strong flavour and aroma a few dislike it too. Today I am sharing a recipe using brined keerlu which is called dangar .I have already shared dangar using taikilo(tora leaves)Taikila Dangar / ambados To check for other bamboo shoot dishes and brining methods do have a look at our Archives.
- 1 cup dosa rice
- 1/4th cup toor dal (optional)
- 8-10 roasted red chillies
- 1/2 tsp of hing
- Salt to taste
- A handful of keerlu chopped finely (Check Notes)
- Oil as required for deep frying
- Marble sized tamarind
- Soak dosa rice and toor dal for 2 to 3 hours,wash well and drain.
- Grind the dal and rice along with the roasted chillies,hing and tamarind to a not so fine paste (previous stage of fine) adding very little water.
- Remove this paste to a wide bowl,add finely chopped bamboo shoots and mix well.
- Check for salt and add only if required as the bamboo shoots are brined and contain salt.
- Take care that the paste should be thick .
- Take small portions of the batter / paste and shape them into round balls and flatten them.
- Deep fry them on medium high heat until they get a nice red colour .
- Remove on to kitchen rolls to remove excess oil.
The kirla dangars are now ready to be served as side dish with meals.You can also have them as a evening snack with tea or coffee.
- Soak the brined bamboo shoots in plenty of water for at-least 4-5 hours or better overnight – to remove the excess salt. Wash well and change the water twice if required while soaking.Then chop it finely.
- Adding toor dal is optional but adding it helps in binding.
- I have not included detailed step wise pictures …if you need to check – refer my post of taikile dangar which I have mentioned above .
- Be very careful while adding salt as the bamboo shoots are already salted.
- You can also grind the bamboo shoots along with the other things just before taking out the paste …just pulse it once or twice.But I prefer it this way as I love to bite into them .
2 replies to “Kirla Dangar”
Wow!! looks like so delicous, will try this soon.thanks for sharingTuwar Dal Onlinetoor dal online purchasebuy toor dal online
thank you Ritesh sharma