Kirlu / bamboo shoots are widely used in our Konkani cuisine.We have already published a detailed post regarding the brining method.Myself and my co-blogger friends have also added many recipes using bamboo shoots which can be found in Archives. Today am sharing a very simple and easy recipe using brined bamboo shoots.My friend and co-blogger Asha has shared deep fried version whereas senior co-blogger Veena mai has already shared an instant dosa ..my verison is in between the two… instant tava fry.So lets have a look at the recipe.
- Handful of brined kirlu (bamboo shoots)
- A tbsp of red chilli powder
- 3-4 tbsp of rice flour
- Oil as required (preferably coconut)
- Immerse the brined bamboo shoots in plenty of water for 4-5 hours and wash it twice or thrice to remove excess salt.
- Once the shoots have been washed and drained ..crush them well with a heavy object.
- Add chilli powder and rice flour and mix well mashing the mixture so that everything binds well.
- Heat a tava and place small portions of mixture on tava and slightly flatten them .
- Drizzle oil on the sides and roast them on both sides till they are nice and crisp .
The yummy bamboo shoot tava fries are ready to be had as side dish along with lunch or dinner…goes well with curd rice as well.
- Immersing the brined shoots in water is very necessary to remove the excess salt.
- The recipe is very quick to make except for the immersing part.
- Amma used to immerse extra shoots in water while planning a curry so that the extras could be used for fries at dinner.
- If you leave it overnight in water it is better as more old the brined shoots – more the salt.
- My brined bamboo shoots are tiny ones which when crushed yields a small amount ..thats the reason I could bind it into a mixture.
- If your brined bamboo shoots are big in size..you can crush them individually then add the chiili powder and flour and tava fry them as individual pieces.