Methiye Sukke is a very traditional dish of Kerala GSB community. This is made from methi seeds sprouts – a tasty & healthy side -dish .This is especially made as a special dish & on festive occasions.
- Methi / fenugreek seeds – 1/2cup
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Red chillis – 5 – more or less as per taste
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
1 . Soak methi seeds in water for 10 – 12 hours. then keep in a cloth/ sprouter to let them sprout in 2 -3 days . They sprout more quickly in summer than winter .
2. Grind coconut , red chilies & tamarind to a coarse paste adding very little water.
3. Heat the oil in a thick bottomed kadai. add the mustard seeds & urad dal .
5. Cover and let cook on slow fire. You may get a bitter smell while its cooking. Don’t mind that. Let it roast well till it changes color to a nice brown.
6.Your Methiye sukke is ready. Serve hot with rice & dalithoy, which is the best combination for this dish.
|Rice , Dalithoy & methiye Sukke
Enjoy a delicious lunch!
Tip – Instead of tamarind – a small piece Dharmbya sol can also be added . A little tur dhal can also be added to lessen the bitterness . but the true Amchi likes this dish for the ever so slight bitterness !!