Kholmbe Pitti recipe:
Makes about 500 gms of powder, for about 20 helpings, based on your using 2-3 teaspoons at a time.
- 250 g Coriander seeds
- 200 g Red chillies ( preferably Byadgi chillies for their colour)
- 50 g Chana dal (bengal-gram)
- 40 g Urad Dal (Black gram)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafetida ( Antu hingu ..strong variety)
- 10 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Oil.
Hand-pick and clean all the ingredients. Fry each separately. Cool and Powder. Mix well and store in air tight jars.
Kholmbo recipe with Fresh ground Spices:
Fry the following ingredients in 2 teaspoons Oil. Fry the Coconut and Curry leaves separately. Fry the dry spices in the given order.
- 1 tablespoon..Coconut grated
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal
- 3/4 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp- Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 4-5 red chillies
- Asafetida…size of a methi seed
- A sprig of Curry leaves.
Grind the fried ingredients with Tamarind (size of a small marble) to a smooth paste.
- Veggies used are Bhajji dento, Chapprada Avrekai 5-6 , Onions & tomato & 2 flakes Garlic!!
- Chopped Onions into chunks, diced tomato and crushed the garlic.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add garlic, onions and fry a little, add tomato and cook till pulpy. Add 2 tsps of Kholmbe pitti and mix well. Set aside.
- To the cooked Dal add 2 tsps of the Tamarind Juice ( I make this pulpy tamarind juice at home..
- Boil 1/4 kg tamarind in 6 cups water, cool,sieve and store the juice in bottles in fridge).
- Add the previously boiled veggies to the dal and the masala and boil the sambar.
- Last season with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing powder.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves!!