This recipe is by – Asha Radhakrishna Shenoy who is from Mangalore – this is one of the pure Kochi recipes that she learnt from me and loved it so much that it so regular at her home !. This upkari makes for an unusual combination of Papaya & turkey berry ( chunde phal as we call it in konkani ) ! Learn more about Turkey berry – here . You can use the skin of papaya too – Don’t discard it as it has many nutrients too .
- Raw Papaya (Finely chopped lengthwise with skin)
- Chunde Phal ( select tender ones and cut into halves)
- Red chilli powder -1 tsp (depends upon the spicyness)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Mustard-1 tsp
- Hing a pinch.
- Finely chop the papaya and add it into water as you proceed with the chopping . this removes the white secretions/latex or dhinku – which can otherwise give a bitter taste to the upkari
- In a pan heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add hing, chilli powder, turmeric powder (do not over heat oil, there are chances of chilly powder burning),
- Now add the finely chopped papaya and the chunde Phal halves and saute.
- Add salt required and sprinkle little water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook till dry & check for both the veggies are tender and soft.
- Simple and tasty upkari is ready to serve.
- This is a side dish which goes well with rice and Daalithoi/any saaru(rasam).
Note: Turkey berry has many medicinal properties.