This is a very traditional almost forgotten recipe !! Dhadyalolo means smashed using a mortar & pestle . the true taste of this is indeed in using a mortar & pestle ..but you can also use a mixer for this !
- Yam / surnu – abt 50 gms
- Tamarind – marble sized
- Shallots / sambar onions – 10 -12
- Curds – 1/2 cup
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Chop surnu into small pieces , add tamarind , shallots & salt and keep aside to marinate for 1/2 an hour.
- Using a mortar & pestle .pound this well or grind coarsely in mixer.
- Add curds , chilli powder & mix well .
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Jeera- 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves – a few
Make a tempering of the mustard , jeera & curry leaves & pour over the dish ,
Makes an excellent side dish for rice .
Tips- Use raw surnu only .this can be done without shallots too . You need not fear about irritation due to raw surnu , as the tamarind nullifies it.