This is an instant pickle of G.S.B Mangalore side . It’s very tasty but will stay fresh only for a few days .
- Yam….150 gms…cleaned
- Oil….For deep frying and seasoning
- Grated coconut…2 tbsp
- Red Chilly….25 ..(I used Ramnad chilly)
- Coriander seeds..1 tbsp
- Tamarind… Small lemon size
- Hing … a chickpea size (Anta Hingu )
- Salt … as per your taste
- Mustard seeds…1 tsp
- Curry leaves….. few for seasoning
- Cut the yam into small pieces and apply salt and keep aside for a while.
- Deep fry yam pieces till crisp. Keep it aside
- Fry Grated coconut , Red Chilly, Coriander seeds, Hing separately using oil
- Grind all the fried items with Tamarind to a fine paste
- Boil the ground Masala making it to the required consistency using water
- Add salt
- Season with mustered seeds and curry leaves.
- Switch off the gas and add fried yam pieces
- Wait for a while to get all the ingredients settled. Yummy koot is ready. This is very good with rice, dosa , idli etc.
- Since the yam pieces are salty…be careful while you add salt to masala.
- Since this is a temporary pickle the left over has to be boiled for over night use
One reply to “Surna Koot”