Sandhan is a very popular breakfast dish of the konkanis ! especially popular when breakfast has to made in large amounts & quickly too .
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rices in water for about 5-6 hours .
- Soak the dal for an hour
- Grind the dal in a mixer – preferably in a grinder till you get a smooth thick batter ..then grind the rices to a not so fine batter.
- Mix both the pastes in a large container , add the salt and leave to ferment overnight.
- Mix d batter well & pour into a greased vessel .
- Steam cook for about 10 -12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When a little cooler de-mould and cut into desired pieces .
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and hot sambhar.
- This keeps well and so can be taken along while travelling . Keep in hot packs or wrap in foil or Just pack in a container when it has cooled down .
You may also steam keeping the batter in banana leaves adding more flavour to it !
For a different flavour – you may addd 1 tsp chopped ginger , 1 tsp chopped green chillies , some chopped curry leaves and a tsp of jeera , Mix well in the batter & steam as above !