This is an instant pickle with surnu / elephant yam ready in just a few minutes !! And an excellent combination with idlis , dosas , sandhan & rice !
- Surnu / elephant yam – sliced in long medium thick pieces – 1 cup .
- Red chillies – 6 – adjust as per taste
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind -a small piece
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
For tempering –
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Deep-fry the washed and drained surnu pieces until very crisp.
- Soak the red chillies in warm water and then grind along with a little mustard , chinchamb/ tamarind to a fine paste .(you can also fry it in a little oil and then soak)
- In a kadai ,heat oil ,splutter mustard & curry leaves
- Add the paste ,salt with a little water & bring to a boil .
- Add the fried surnu !!
Your lip-smacking edigai is ready to be had with Idllis , dosas & rice too
You can make the same type with soppurkook/kooka / Chinese potato too
One reply to “Surna Edigai”