This recipe is by – Jayashri Shenoy
It is in born with all GSB ladies not to waste any thing and when we bring vegetables from the market we ourselves do a planning to make use of that vegetable. Like that when we purchase Yam we have a definite idea to make use of it without a waste… And to say when we are very free we cut the yam in to small pieces and apply salt to it and keep aside. After some “panchatika” we fry it and keep it in air tight container when it reaches normal tempt. With this fried yam G.S.B Cochin side usually make three very yummy dishes 1. Surna Edgeyi 2. Surna Sasam 3. Surna Pachatti etc. and Mangalore side prepare 1 Surna Koot, 2.Surna Kosambari, 3. Surna Nonche, etc. and I have to say all are different preparations.
Here is the recipe of Surna Pachatti (Kalvani Randayi)
For the Masala
- Grated Coconut..1 Cup
- Red chilly ..5
- Haldi powder – 1 tsp
- Grind the above items to a fine paste .
- Boil it adding salt and water
- Now you have to add butter-milk 1 cup and switch off the gas when you again see the first boiling bubbles.
- Season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Now add one hand full of deep fried yam pieces.
- Red chilly has to be added according to how much your butter milk is sour.
- You can add beaten yogurt instead of butter milk….only after switching off the gas