- 1 cup of surnu (elephant yam) chopped into small pieces
- 8-10 red chillies(I used byadgi variety)
- small marble size tamarind
- 1/2 tsp -1 tsp mustard seeds
- A few methi seeds (fenugreek)
- Small piece of hing(asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- Apply salt to the chopped suran pieces and keep aside.
- Roast the red chillies .
- Roast the mustard seeds ,methi seeds and hing .
- When cool ,grind the roasted ingredients along with tamarind to a smooth paste adding water.
- Deep fry the chopped surnu till golden and remove on a kitchen towel and keep aside.
- Add the fried surnu pieces to the paste ,add salt and water and boil it .
- Season with mustard seeds
- You can also shallow fry the surnu pieces or roast them with little oil in a non stick pan till crisp.
- This pickle tastes better the next day,so prepare a day in advance .
- This stays for 2-3 days when refrigerated.
- Increase or decrease the chillies as per your requirement.
- Too much of mustard seeds will make it bitter ,so add carefully .
- Bit of jaggery too can be added while boiling .
One reply to “Surna Nonche”