Karathe or bittergourds as it is commonly known is a vegetable ,which is either hated or loved too much and I belong to the latter group. I can have almost anything made with bitter gourds much to the surprise of my little one :p .I have already posted karathe ambuli rosu from North Kanara.. and today yet again posting one more lip smacking recipe from the same region. This is very simple and quick to make recipe and can be had as a side dish.
- 2 big bitter gourds/3 medium sized ones
- 2 drumsticks
- Few Brined bamboo shoots(optional)
- Tamarind pulp 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery as required
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- A Tsp of mustard seeds
- A Tsp of urad dal
- Few Methi seeds
- A Pinch of asafoetida/hing powder
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 2 tbsp of red chilli powder(adjust as per taste )
- Chop bitter gourds length wise, apply salt and turmeric powder and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Chop drumsticks and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ingredients one by one listed under ‘for tempering’ and allow them to splutter, lastly add chilli powder and saute.
- Squeeze the chopped bitter gourd pieces and add it to the pan… and keep stirring for 1- 2 minutes, then close the lid and cook for some time .
- When the bitter gourds are half done add the drumsticks and stir for a while.
- Add salt as required, tamarind pulp , jaggery along with 1/2 cup water and cook till everything blends well and attains a semi dry form and the veggies are completely cooked.
Relish this pickle like dish with your meals as side dish or as accompaniments to dosas or idlies.
- You can use the white variety or the dark green variety of bitter gourds or mix both as I have done.
- Stays good for 1-2 days when refrigerated.
- You can prepare this dish only with bitter gourds too.
- If adding brined bamboo shoots add salt only if required.