Karathe Ambuli Rosu is the speciality of North Kanara(Honnavar,Kumta side).This is used as an accompaniment to rice but can also be used as side dish.With the sweetness of jaggery,bitterness of karathes,tanginess of raw mangoes and spiciness of the chillies,this dish is all in one .Very easy to make but delicious with so many mixed flavours.Do try this and am sure you will love it too.
- 2 Karathes ( bitter gourds) chopped into big chunks
- 1 medium sized raw mango chopped into big chunks
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 5-6 red chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp of urad dal
- 1/2 tsp of asafoetida/small piece of compound asafoetida(hing)
- Handful of crushed jaggery or as required.
- Salt to taste
- Brined bamboo shoots cut into medium pieces (optional)
- A tbsp of coconut oil
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast coriander seeds, hing and urad dal till you get a nice aroma. keep aside to cool.
- Pressure cook the chopped bitter gourds and bamboo shoots and drain the water.
- Boil the chopped raw mango pieces in little water till done .
- Combine both and transfer to a big vessel and add fresh water.
- Grind coconut with red chillies and the roasted ingredients to a smooth paste .
- Add this paste to the vessel containing the boiled veggies
- Add handful of crushed jaggery, salt and required amount of water to get a free flowing consistency and boil for 5- 10 minutes.
- Temper with the ingredients mentioned above under the heading ‘For Tempering’.
Enjoy this delicious curry with rice or as a side dish with meals.
- This curry has all flavours so adding jaggery is a must. you can decrease the amount if you do not want it too sweet.
- You can also add brined bamboo shoots to the same curry…if using wash it thoroughly to get rid of excess salt and take care while adding salt to the curry
- If the mangoes are not sour add small piece of tamarind while grinding
- You can increase the red chillies to make it more spicy .
- The masala should be ground to very fine paste.