Now is the season for Jackfruits . So now is the time to make various yum dishes with it . You can make a very easy to make yet very tasty ghassi with a young jack fruit. – called gidgi/kadgi. You can use the whole fruit as such leaving out just the thorns and the hard portion near the stalk .
Usually ghassis are broadly called dhevi & Kalli to denote the type of coconut masollu used . If its just coconut with chilles its called – Dhevi (white ) ghassi . If the coconut is roasted & used its called kaalli ( black ) ghassi
So here is the recipe for Dhevi ghassi .already recipes for Soyi Bhajjille Ghassis using jackfruit have been posted in this blog !
- Jackfruit (Raw immature ) – 1 1/2 cups
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 3-4 or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Dharmbya Sol – 1 small piece
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds , Curry leaves & Oil for seasoning
- Cut the jackfruit into pieces after removing the skin & thorns . Wash well & pressure cook with the dal & sol .
- Make a fine paste of the coconut , red chillies & turmeric powder
- Add this paste to the dal along with salt to taste.
- Mix well adding water to desired consistency . bring to a boil & then simmer for another 3-4 minutes .
- Heat Oil & temper with mustard seeds & curry leaves .pour over the ghassi .
- A very tasty mildly spicy ghassi is ready to be served .
There is no need of adding ambsaniche ( tomatoes / dharambya sol ) for this ghassi . this is supposed to taste non spicy – goddachi .
One reply to “Ponsa gidigi / kadgi Dhevi Ghassi”