Here is popular ghassi in Kochi style which will appeal to kids also because it has potatoes – an all time favourite with kids. Usually ghassis are broadly called dhevi & Kaalli to denote the type of coconut masollu used . If its just coconut with chilles its called – Dhevi (white )ghassi . If the coconut is roasted & used its called kaalli ( black ) ghassi
You can find another special dhevi ghassi recipe here .
So lets proceed to the recipe ,
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Potatoes ( peeled and cubed ) – 1 cup ( you may add more )
- Tomato – 1 OR a small piece of dharmbya sol
- Red chillies – 3-4 or as per taste
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds , Curry leaves & Oil for seasoning
- Pressure cook the Dal , potatoes & tomato ( or sol ) .You may cook the dal & potatoes separately too .
- Add in a mixer jar – the chilies , coriander seeds , coconut , & haldi
- Make a fine paste of it adding sufficient water
- I have used Kashmiri chillies – hence the reddish colour , Now add this paste to the cooked dal.
- Now add sufficient amount of water according to the desired consistency ( If you are planning it as a side dish – let it be thick – but a thinner consistency can be had if you are using it as an accompaniment with rice ).
- Now bring it to a boil and let simmer for a minute or two and switch off flame .
- Make a tempering of mustard seeds & curry leaves . Pour it over the curry & keep covered for the flavours to infuse ! . Serve with rice
You may make the same type ghassi with other veggies too but then – AVOID the coriander seeds as it is special only for this one .
2 replies to “Kooka /Batata Dhevi Ghassi”
Wonderful recipe for Potato freaks like me😁
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Padmini..do try out 😀