Thumbe leaves do have enormous Medical benefits. You can search in the web to know about this here . If you seriously know its medical benefits you may start to eat the raw leaves itself even though it has a bitter taste. It is the smart cooking of the G.S.B.’s that these bitter thumbe leaves has been cooked to a super tasty dish.
- Tur Dal – One hand full
- Bikkand (Jack Fruit Seeds) – 10
- Thumbe tender leaves – two hands full
- Grated Coconut – 3 table spoon
- Chilly flakes – 2 tsp
- Haldi Powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Peel the white and red skin of Jack fruit seeds. Wash and chop it in to small pieces.
- Pressure cook tur dal and chopped Jack fruit seeds. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash tender leaves of Thumbo. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and urad dal sauté well.
- Add chilly flakes and sauté.
- Add cooked tur dal, jack fruit seeds and thumbo leaves.
- Add haldi powder, grated coconut and salt.
- Sauté well and close the pan with a lid in low medium flame to cook for 2 minutes
Thumbya Upkari is ready. Serve hot with rice.