Gsb women are adept at collecting mangoes , gooseberries , lemon, Karambal ( starfruit) , bittergourd ,Hog plums ( Bimbul / Birmi karmbal ) when in season & pickle them so as to be enjoyed through out the year . Puddi gallelein is a dry pickle which will keep for more than a year when stored well ..the longer it keeps the tastier it becomes ! the basic masala for all types of puddi gallelein is the same . there is slight variations for each vegetable though .
Go through this step by step method to make the most delicious pickles which you & your family will relish throughout the year
Ingredients for the basic masala ;
- Red chilies – 20 – 22 as per taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Methi seeds – 3/4 tbsp
Note ; the above amount is for half a kg of any variety to be pickled . Usually this can be prepared in larger quantities & used whenever needed . this acts as a preservative & gives added flavor to the pickle
- Roast red chilies , mustard & methi separately .
- Grind in a sun – dried mixer jar to a fine powder .
- Store in a dry glass bottle .
- Usually I powder roasted mustard & methi only & then add roasted red chilli powder whenever I am making pickles .
Now you can collect the ingredients to be pickled .
First we shall make Avallo Puddiigallein . so of course we need fresh avallos / gooseberries . usually they are available at cheaper rates & abundantly from the month of November . Choose good, fresh , blemish free fruits . wash well ..
- Avallos – 1/2 kg
- Masala – recipe given above
- Hing – 1 tsp or more as per taste
- Gingelly oil – 4 tbsp ( minimum)
Method ; –
- Put them in a large vessel with boiling water & 1 tbsp of salt . boil for exactly 10 minutes if they are large ones and lesser time for the small ones.
2 . The avalos should have just turned soft enough so that one can easily break them into segments and remove the seed within . NOTE- they should be firm.
3 . Now spread them on a sheet & sun – dry them for a day or two . Time needed to sun- dry varies according to the heat at your place . If you have very hot sun , just a day under the sun will do . if not keep for drying one day more !
4 . The sun-dried avalos will look like this . they should be dry but not hard . if they are hard . your pickle will not be soft ( mellsunn ) .
Put them in a kadai with a tbsp of oil & stir fry them for a minute . .Remember this is to remove any extra moisture & not to roast them . See that they do not harden .
Use only dry vessels , spoons & hands while handling
5 .As I said I make the pickle masala with only mustard seeds & methi . .I add roasted chilli powder when required . Another way is to roast the chilli powder .you have to do this carefully so as not to burn it . Heat about 3 tbsps of Gingelly oil . switch off flame . then add about 50 gms of chilli powder ( I make them spicy ..if you want you can lessen as per your taste ) & 1 tsp hing – into the oil . & stir quickly so that it gets roasted . you can judge by the aroma that it has roasted well ! Add little salt . remember You have already added salt to the avallos so add accordingly . Add the avallos too
6 .With a dry spoon mix them well so that the avallos are coated well with the masala
7.Heat a kadai & add 3tbsps or more of gingelly oil . heat to smoking point . then switch off gas .
8. When the oil has cooled well add it to the avallos . mix well . & transfer to a glass bottle . alternatively , you can fill the avallos mixture in a sun-dried glass bottle or chinaware bharini . and then add the oil . seal well & keep it for a minimum 10 days . Use a dry spoon while removing the pickle .
You can also do this without sun drying , After step – 2 Heat a kadai and add 3 tbsp s of oil , add the avalos .
Keep stirring gently so that they don’t burn nor break . continue sautéing until the sizzling sound has ceased and they are free of moisture .
Let it rest for a day and then continue with step – 5
- Always be sure that all items used are dry . Do not store in plastic containers .
- In case you have sundried it too hard – then sprinkle just very little water and keep them overnight – then proceed to step 4 but now take care while roasting . use low flame and see that they don’t turn hard as well as they are free from moisture .
Same method to be used for soppur avallo / Star Gooseberry ..you need not remove seeds and dry using the second version
2 replies to “Avallo Puddiigallein”