Thambdi Bhajji Ambat ( Red Amaranth Leaves Curry) is a delicious curry prepared by Konkanis. There is a sweet and a spicy version of this. The spicy version is prepared with a vegetable combined with either dal or curd. The star ingredient in this is the spicy, tangy coconut paste.
- Thambdi Bhajji ( Amaranth leaves) chopped – 1 bunch
- Tur Dal – pressure cooked 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
For the masolu or paste:
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 5 nos
- Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Cook the Tambdi Bhajji with sufficient water.
- Mash cooked dal and add it to the cooked bhajji. Mix well.
- Grind coconut, red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the cooked bhajji and dal mixture. Mix and boil well.
- Once done, season with mustard seeds, jeera, methi seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.