Pulses form a important part of Konkani cuisine. They are usually combined with any vegetable or leafy vegetable and added to a gravy made of coconut like the Vaali-tingalavre Bendi, but this recipe is different. This does not have coconut and is bit spicy .Tingalavro is called as White Navy Beans in English but interestingly it is referred to as Soyabeans at the place where I stay. You can find this at any super market easily but may be with some different name. .
- 1 cup white navy beans soaked overnight
- 2-3 onions
- 5-6 red chillies roasted
- Small piece of tamarind
- Tbsp of coriander seeds
- 2-3 tbsp of oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the navy beans with 1 onion chopped.
- Grind red chillies,coriander seeds and tamarind to smooth paste .
- Heat oil in a pan and add the 2 onions chopped finely.
- Fry for a while but do not brown them.
- Add the paste and stir for a while .
- Add the boiled navy beans ,salt and required amount of water n simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy as a side dish with rice or accompaniment to dosas or idlis .