Channa Gashi (Bengal Gram Gashi)
Bengal Gram,Sprouted Moong gashis,Black Eyed Beans are prepared on auspicious days and in temple functions,where we dont use onion and garlic on these days.This is normally cooked with veggies like suran,jack seed,Mangalore cucumber (coloured cucumber) tender jack which is called kadgi in konkani.It is a side dish with coconut gravy.
- 1/2 pav Bengal Gram
- 1 cup tender Jackfruit chunks/suran
- 1 cup coconut gratings
- 6-7 roasted red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 th tsp methi seeds
- Tamarind lump marble size
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste.
- Soak bengal gram in water overnight .
- Next day, boil in water with a tsp of coconut oil.
- Cut tender jack/suran into medium chunks and cook separately till soft.
- In a tsp of oil splutter mustard and methi and keep aside.
- Grind coconut gratings along with the roasted red chillies, mustard, methi and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add this masala to the cooked channa and jack fruit, add salt and bring to boil.
- Prepare seasoning with mustard and curry leaves in oil.
- For Sprouted moong gashi can use tender bamboo shoots/ suran/potato/jack seed. Instead of tamarind can use 3-4 bimbul /hog plum(ambade)
- Similarly Rajma Gashi, Peas & potato gashi, Black thori (pigeon peas) gashi, horse gram gashi can b prepared.
- Roasted mustard and methi while grinding is used only for the channa gashi and not for other gashi.
- For other gashi’s instead of mustard seasoning, can season with crushed garlic fried in oil till brown.