Bendi is a typical south canara dish with lots of garlic seasoning .Tingalavro is white navy beans and vaali is malabar spinach also called as Indian spinach.It is a kalvani randayi i.e used as an accompaniment with rice. The same curry can be prepared using Kulith i.e horsegram too.Just replace horsegram with navy beans…the procedure and recipe remains same.
- Handful of navy beans/ kulith soaked overnight
- 1 bunch of vaali leaves washed and chopped finely
- 1 cup coconut
- 5-6 roasted red chillies
- A small piece of tamarind
- 10 -12 garlic cloves crushed
- Oil for tempering
- Pressure cook the chopped spinach and the navy beans for 3-4 whistles.If using kulith first pressure cook the kulith and then add the spinach and pressure cook again,as kulith takes longer time to cook.
- Grind coconut along with red chillies and tamarind to a fine paste adding water .
- Add the boiled pulse and the spinach to the paste and boil it adding salt and water to the desired consistency
- Heat oil and add the crushed garlic flakes and fry them till golden.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and close the lid for sometime to absorb the flavour.
Serve it with rice .
Below is the picture of the curry using kulith/horsegram .