I was introduced to this pulse during my stay at Mangalore by my dear friend. She used to make this curry and share it with me so the whole credit goes to her for this recipe. This beans is called by different names in different places depending on the region so you need to know what is this called at your place. Its available at all super markets too but again you need to search as they may be labelled with a different name…some of the names which I have come across are..vaal in Konkani and bada vaal in Marathi,butter beans and double beans,and as Poona vaal in one of the super markets which I used to frequently visit. A very simple and easy recipe with just a few steps and ingredients.Ingredients:-
- 1 cup vaal /butterbeans/double beans soaked overnight in plenty of water
- 1-2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 big onion chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- Red chilli powder as required
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the soaked beans for 5-6 whistles or till done. They should be nicely cooked and soft though retain their shape.
- Pressure cook potatoes separately .
- Heat oil in a wide pan or kadhai and add add the chopped onions and fry till soft and pink in colour.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry till they are mushy.
- Now add the red chilli powder (I used both kashmiri and regular) and saute till all blends well.
- Add the pressure cooked beans and potato ..water salt and allow it boil on low flame for few minutes.
- Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves if you prefer.
- The dish is ready to be served as side dish with meals or with chapatis as accompaniment.
- The vaal should be soaked in plenty of water as it doubles in volume.
- Sometimes the vaal takes a slightly longer time than usual to get cooked, so first pressure cook the vaal for 4-5 whistles and see if its done by pressing it ..if its soft then its cooked ..otherwise you need to cook it for further 3-4 whistles .
- Cooking the vaal is important as the consistency of the curry will depend on it.
- If your vaal cooks easily then combine both potato and vaal and pressure cook it ..this time I cooked it the same way.
- This is instant version of soungh. – for ground version check here
3 replies to “Butter beans/Vaal songh”
lovely recipe…i usually prepare vth red chilli powder n hing….vll try this version tooo…suppppppppperb ..thnks for updating
Thanks for the feedback Priya…do try and let me know