Sev is easy to prepare if we keep few points in mind and I have tried to explain it as much as possible. Hope you all try this and enjoy. Happy Diwali to all of you.
- 1 cup besan/chickpea flour sieved
- 4-5 tbsp of oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt as required
- Red chilli powder as per your spice level
- Generous pinch of hing
- Pinch haldi/turmeric powder (optional)
- Take the besan in a wide bowl and add all the ingredients except the oil
- Heat 4-5 tbsp of oil and pour it over the mix.Mix with a spoon & allow it to cool.
- When cool sprinkle water as required and form a soft, sticky and pliable dough.
5. The perforated plate with big holes(pic 2) is used when making karo
6.Heat oil in a kadhai and check by dropping a small portion ..if it comes out rising up gradually then the oil is ready..lower the flame to sim.Pinch a fistful of dough and fill it in the mould and press directly in oil .
- You can also use spices like cumin or ajwain while making the dough or add them powdered.
- The colour of the sev will depend on the amount of chilli powder and the temperature of oil .
- Never increase the flame while frying even if you are tempted as these will burn and change colour quickly.
- Don’t leave the kadhai unattended while frying .
- If using the plate with bigger holes you might need to fry a bit more as they require time.
- The dough should be soft and pliable and I recommend to be bit sticky than shown in the pic above or else there will be difficulty in pressing .