Salla Upkari is a well known and tasty dish in GSB houses of Mangalore. Jack fruit is seasonal and they preserve its bulbs to use in the rainy season..
“Sal” is a cleaned, seed removed matured raw jack fruit bulb preserved in brine (Salt Water). ( mitta udkanthu gallalo junu ponsa gharo).
- “Sal” ( length wise thin slices) 2 Cups.
- Red Chilly flakes of 4 chillies
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste (since “Sal” is salted add salt if necessary)
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chilly flakes and roast it.
- Add Sal sprinkle little water, sauté well and cook covering a lid in a low flame.
- Add little salt if necessary.
Salla Upkari is ready. Serve it as a side dish with hot rice.
- Wash the “sal” very well before slicing.
- You can also use garlic cloves instead of mustard seeds.