- 7-8 Big Pumpkin leaves or 15-20 small ones (remove stalk and wash well)
- 1 and 1/4th cup Rice flour
- 3/4th cup Urid flour ( Dry roast urid on low flame and powder it in dry grinder use 3/4th cup of this powder)
- 1 tblsp or as per tolerance red chilli pwd.
- 1 small marble sized ball of tamarind (extract thick juice)
- 1/4th tsp hing or Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Water as required to make the batter to be applied on leaves
- Oil for deep frying
Mix the Rice flour, urad flour, chilli powder, Hing pwd, tamarind juice, salt and water to make a thick paste. This should be slightly thicker than pakoda batter so that you can apply evenly on the leaves.
Apply a thin layer on the opposite side of the leaves and when one leaf is done cover it with the other one.
Make a roll of 2-3 leaves if big ones. If small use 6-7 of them.
Cut thin slices of this roll and dust in rice flour.
Once all are done. Take oil in a pan and when the oil is moderately hot.Not too hot add the phodis one by one in oil and on low flame let it fry till golden brown on both the sides till crisp.