Kelya Halwo / Banana Halwa is a very popular sweet of GSB. The main ingredient in this is Nendra Banana. Mangalore GSB prepare this with a different recipe by grinding Banana etc. Here I give the preparation of Kelya Halwo in cochin style.
- Very ripened Nendra Banana – 8
- Grated Jaggery – 2 Cups.
- Ghee – ½ cup.
- Powdered cardamom – 1 tsp.
Kelya Halwo…GSB Cochin style
- Peel and cut Nendra Banana in to small semi round pieces.
- In a kadai heat 2 tbsp. of ghee.
- Add banana pieces and sauté continuously in a medium heat.
- When these bananas are half cooked add the remaining ghee.
- Sauté till banana pieces are fully cooked.
- Add jaggery in it and sauté till the jaggery is completely mixed with the Banana and ghee separates.
- Switch off the gas and add cardamom powder and mix well.
Kelya Halwo is ready. Serve when it settles to room temperature.
You can also add 2 tbsp. of sugar depending on your taste.