Kolmbo is the Konkani version of the sambhar. Usually sambhar is prepared with toor dal but this dish uses Tingalavro / white navy beans .I have already posted Pumpkin Kolmbo recipe. The method is same except that the toor dal is replaced by the navy beans. Though ready sambhar powders are available in the market ,freshly made sambhar powder at home is always preferred and that’s how I make it.
- 1/2 cup white navy beans(soaked overnight)
- 1-2 potatoes diced
- 5-6 beans( trimmed n chopped into long pieces)
- 1 tomato chopped
- Kolmbo powder( refer here)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Oil for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Pressure cook the white navy beans for 3-4 whistles.
- Pressure cook the potatoes and beans with little salt for 1-2 whistles.
- Or You can cook the three together for 2 whistles.
- Combine the navy beans and the vegetables in a wide pan or vessel,
- Add the kolmbo powder/ paste along with chopped tomatoes
- Add salt and bring it to boil, adding water to the required consistency
- Add chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame.
- Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Enjoy the kolmbo with steaming rice.
- You can add vegetables of your choice.
- You can substitute toordal in place of tingalavro/ white navy beans for the regular kolmbo adding various combinations of vegetables like potato, beans ,cauliflower or brinjal ,potato and drumsticks etc.