Kolmbo is favourite Konkani dish(equivalent to sambhar) used as a accompaniment to rice .I prefer making fresh powder at home which enhances the taste of the dish .Today I am posting the recipe of Kolmbo made with pumpkins. Kolmbos can be made with many vegetables and along with 2-3 combos of veggies and with tingalavro (navy beans) too. Do try Tingalavre Kolmbofor a change.
Ingredients for the powder:-
- Tbsp of chana dal (bengal gram dal)
- 1/4 tsp of toor dal
- 1/2 tbsp. urad dal (black gram dal)
- 1/2 tbsp. of coriander seeds
- Few methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 10-12 pepper corns
- a small piece of hing(asafoetida)
- 4-5 red chillies
- 2 tbsp coconut
- 1/4 kg of pumpkin cut into cubes
- 1-2 potatoes cubed(optional)
- 1/2 -3/4 cup of toordal
- 1 tomato chopped into big pieces
- Oil for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves.
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned above for “powder ” ,cool and powder them adding a small size tamarind for future use or add a bit water
- Once they are coarse and make a paste if using immediately.
- This measure is for one time use only.
- Increase the amount if you want to make extra and store.
- Pressure cook toor dal till soft mash and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the cubed potatoes and pumpkin with pinch salt for 2 whistles.
- Combine the dal and veggies, add the prepared paste, water as required ,salt chopped tomatoes and boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off
- Season with mustard and curry leaves.