Kolmbo is our version of Sambhar.I have already shared Kolmbo recipe using Pumpkin Here .Today I am sharing one more version which is a favourite with many because of the vegetable combo ..Infact it is said to be the classic combo and the best of all the Kolmbos we prepare as it has the Gulla(local variety brinjal from Udupi),Potatoes and drumsticks.So let’s proceed with the recipe without much delay.
Ingredients for the Kolmbo powder:
- 1/4 tsp of toor dal
- 1/2 tbsp urad dal (black gram dal)
- 1/2 tbsp of coriander seeds
- Few methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 10-12 pepper corns
- a small piece of hing(asafoetida)
- 4-5 red chillies
- 2 tbsp coconut
- Tbsp of chana dal(bengal gram dal)
- 1 big gulla chopped into large chunks
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1 tomato chopped into chunks
- 2-3 drumsticks cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- Marble size tamarind
- Oil as required
- Mustard seeds
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Coriander leaves chopped as required
- Salt to taste
- Roast the Ingredients mentioned for “powder” in a pan except coconut and red chillies till they turn slightly brown and a aroma starts ..at this stage add the coconut and roast for further 2-3 minutes.Switch off and allow to cool.
- Roast the red chillies separately.
- Grind all to a smooth paste adding tamarind and water as required.This will look like shown below.
- Meanwhile pressure cook the potatoes,gulla and drumsticks with a bit of salt for 1-2 whistles.
- Pressure cook the dal too and mash it lightly.
- Combine the dal with cooked veggies,add the ground paste and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes ,salt to taste and water as required to adjust the consistency and allow it boil for 10-12 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and switch off the gas.Prepare a seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves and pour on the Kolmbo.
The delicious classic Kolmbo is ready to be had with rice.Notes:-
- I prefer making the Kolmbo always with freshly ground paste..You can prepare the powder in advance using the same ingredients.
- The above mentioned quantity of ingredients is for one time use..Increase the quantity as per your need.
- I prefer pressure cooking the veggies and dal placed in different containers together in pressure cooker .
- Make the kolmbo a bit thin as it thickens later.
- Gulla can be substituted by any variety brinjal available at your place.